Captain Cook information board and Plaque is located at the far southern end of Adventure Bay. Captain Cook is also mentioned on the formal memorial located in the centre of Adventure Bay, an image of which is shown below in the article about Furneaux
Captain James Cook
(Born: October 27, 1728 Died: February 14, 1779)
The English navigator James Cook, possibly the greatest explorer of the 18th century, is known for his voyages to the Pacific Ocean
Voyage of the Endeavour
In 1768 the Royal Society requested the Admiralty’s aid in observing the transit of Venus at Tahiti, to occur in June 1769, and Captain Cook was given command of the expedition. Secret instructions made clear that Cook also was to search for terra australis incognita, the “unknown southern land.” Cook and the Endeavour left Plymouth on Aug. 26, 1768. In addition to its crew the Endeavour carried an astronomer, two botanists, Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, and artists.
Voyages of the Resolution
James Cook had surveyed and charted thousands of kilometres of coast and had solved many mysteries of the Pacific Ocean area. He had also opened the northwest American coast to trade and colonisation. Cook handled ships and crews extraordinarily well, avoided scurvy, hitherto the scourge of long sea voyages, and conducted all of his explorations in a remarkably peaceful fashion.
Listed on the Tasmanian Herritage Register, Two Tree Point, at the mouth of Resolution Creek, ghas historic and cultural significance as it is able to demonstrate an important aspect of Tasmania’s history.the area has changed little since 1792, and is evocative of the landscape that would have been experienced by 18th century European explorers.
Known as ‘Watering Place’ on the charts of Captain Tobias Furneaux (Adventure, 1773) and Captain James cook (Resolution, 1777), this waterway, from which early exploreres replenished their supplies of fresh water was later named Resolution River by Captain William Bligh during his visit on the Bounty in 1778. Bligh had been Sailing Master on Cook’s ship in 1777
Accompanying Captain Bligh was Lieutanant George tobin, the expedition’s principal Artist
Of the seven painings executed by Tobin in Adventure Bay, one depicted the area now known as
Two tree Point. It is thought these trees deicted by tobin (both of which are Eucalyptus Globulus),
are still standing today, making them at least 250 years of age.
A further painting of an Aboriginal bark shelter, was also sited in the area, and Tobin’s journal provides information on the diet of the indigenous inhabitants and their shelter construction. Aboriginal artefacts have been found in this area.
The first visit was Abel Tasman in 1642. After a weathering a raging gale, he named the wider bay Storm Bay
Below are a series of images from the bay.