This infomation about Trugannini has been taken, by kind permission, from a very fine collection of local knowledge at Bruny Island History Room based in Alonnah. This History Room, run by Bruny Island Historical Society, is well worth a visit and a favourite place of mine.
Trugannini, sometimes referred to as Lalla Rockh, was born on Bruny Island in 1812, daughter of Mangana, chief of the tribe. When only a child, her mother had been stabbed to death by a white man, her uncle shot by a soldier, and her sister carried off by a sealer. Later, when returning to the Island from the mainland, her two companions, including her intended husband, were attacked and drowned by two white men. Despite this introduction to Europeans, she jined Robinson on his mission as a councilliator, twice saving his life. It is believed that she has five husbands, Woorady 1829-42 and Alphonso 1842-47 were two. The last was William Lanne, (King billy). She bore no children, Trugannini spent some of her life on flinder’s Island and at Oyster Cove.
She lived with the Danbridge family in Hobart during her last years. She died on the 8th May 1876 and was buried at the Female Factory/Assylum in South Hobart. On the 30th April 1975 her remains were cremated and the ashes scattered in the Channel off Bruny Island, as was her wish expressed a hundered years previously.
The Lookout at ‘The Neck‘ is named after Trugannini, this early Bruny Islander.