Adventure Bay Accommodation , click here
Adventure bay is one of the most historic an also most scenic parts of Bruny Island. The bay has several kilometers of white pristine beach, facing roughly to the east and is accessable a short distance from the road. Because of its easterly facing aspect, it is protected from the gales and westerly winds, making it good for swimming.
The village of Adventure Bay has a camping area, many self contained units, a well stocked shop, eateries and even a Tesla electric charging point and fuel. The village has a bowling green and an excellent 'play park' Bruny Island Charters depart from the southerly end of the bay and, at the time of writing Nov 2017), are constructing a very significant hospitality facility to host both visitors to Adventure Bay as well as its own boat trip clients.
The marine history though is really where Adventure bay takes its significant roll in History. First discovered by Abel Tasman 1642, and later visited by Furneaux in 1773 naming Adventure Bay after his ship. Cook in 1777, Bruni d’Entrecasteaux, Bass, Flinders and Bligh in 1788 and 1792. In fact, this was a major stopping off point after the long voyages, minly becuse of a pleantiful and goo water supply on the beach. The bay was also good for 'beaching' a boat for repairs and cleaning.
At the northern end of the beach is 'Two Tree point' Information below is taken from the information board in Adventure Bay
Listed on the Tasmanian Herritage Register, Two Tree Point, at the mouth of Resolution Creek, ghas historic and cultural significance as it is able to demonstrate an important aspect of Tasmania's history.the area has changed little since 1792, and is evocative of the landscape that would have been experienced by 18th century European explorers.
Known as 'Watering Place' on the charts of Captain Tobias Furneaux (Adventure, 1773) and Captain James cook (Resolution, 1777), this waterway, from which early exploreres replenished their supplies of fresh water was later named Resolution River by Captain William Bligh during his visit on the Bounty in 1778. Bligh had been Sailing Master on Cook's ship in 1777
Accompanying Captain Bligh was Lieutanant George tobin, the expedition's rincipal Artist
Of the seven painings executed by Tobin in Adventure Bay, one depicted the area now known as
Two tree Point. It is thought these trees deicted by tobin (both of which are Eucalyptus Globulus),
are still standing today, making them at least 250 years of age.
A further painting of an Aboriginal bark shelter, was also sited in the area, and Tobin's journal provides information on the diet of the indigenous inhabitants and their shelter construction. Aboriginal artefacts have been found in this area.
The first visit was Abel Tasman in 1642. After a weathering a raging gale, he named the wider bay Storm Bay
Below are a series of images from the bay.