If you are arriving for the ferry by public transport, then be aware that there are no buses and only pre arranged tours on the island.
The information below is from Bruny Island History Room by kind permission
The First vehicle ferry was a converted steamer, the ‘Melba’ and, against local advice from mariners who knew the Channel conditions, the Government began building terminals at Dennes Point and Tinderbox. As redicted, a storm washed everything away when the wharves were half built. they then decided on Kettering and Barnes bay because they are sheltered ports.
After considering using a small landing barge called ‘Beagle’ or converting a large limestone barge called ‘Cockpit’, the Government decided on the ‘Melba’. A ‘beak’ was buit out over the bow to allow cars to drive on at Kettering. She then travelled astern accross to Barnes Bay where they
drove off over the other end. As well as the main engine there was a small auxilliary motor which helped when running ‘blunt end firtst’The service commenced on 13th December 1954.
The river steamer ceased running once the car ferry service began.